George Barr McCutcheon
George Barr McCutcheon (July 26, 1866–1928) was an American popular novelist and playwright. His best known works include the series of novels set in Graustark, a fictional East European country, Brewster's Millions, a play and several films.
Born in Tippecanoe County, Indiana, McCutcheon's father, despite not receiving formal education, stressed the value of literature and encouraged his sons to write. During McCutcheon's childhood, his father had a number of jobs that required travel around the county in Indiana. McCutcheon studied at Purdue University and was a roommate of future humorist George Ade. During his college years, he was editor of the Lafayette Daily Courier and wrote a serial novel of satire about Wabash River life.
Although McCutcheon became famous for the Graustark series (the first novel was published in 1901), he hated the characterization of being a Romantic and preferred to be identified with his playwriting.
He was the older brother of noted cartoonist John T. McCutcheon.
- Graustark: The Story of a Love Behind a Throne (1901), ISBN 1-4043-5098-5
- Beverly of Graustark (1904), ISBN 1-4179-3249-X
- Truxton King: A Story of Graustark (1909), ISBN 1-4179-0333-3
- The Prince of Graustark (1914), ISBN 1-4179-4103-0
- East of the Setting Sun (1924), ISBN 1-4179-1787-3
- The Inn of the Hawk and the Raven (1927)
- Brewster's Millions (1902), ISBN 0-253-33632-5
- Castle Craneycrow (1902)
- The Sherrods (1903)
- The Day of the Dog (1904)
- The Purple Parasol (1905)
- Jane Cable (1905)
- Cowardice Court (1906)
- Nedra (1905)
- The Flyers (1907)
- The Daughter of Anderson Crow (1907)
- The Husbands of Edith (1908)
- The Man from Brodney's (1908)
- Viola Gwyn (1922)
- Kindling and Ashes (1926)
- Green Fancy
- Her Weight in Gold
- The Hollow of Her Hand
- A Fool and His Money
- From the Housetops
- Brood House (1910)
- Mary Midthorne (1911)
- Anderson Crow, Detective (1920)
This article might use material from a Wikipedia article, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.
* Notice to all users: You can export our search engine to your blog, website, facebook or my space.