Hjalmar Fredrik Elgérus Bergman (November 19, 1883 - January 1, 1931) was a Swedish writer and playwright.
The son of a banker, Bergman studied at Uppsala University. He married the daughter of actor and producer August Lindberg.
Most of his output takes place in a small town in mid-Sweden, which is growing into a parallel universe in a Balzacian manner. The shameful secrets of dozen of interwoven families gradually come out of the closet as the stories grow increasingly symbolic. A pessimistic outlook is always counter-balanced by a grotesque humour - indeed in a book like Markurells i Wadköping the latter almost succeeds in completely shading the former.
After an unsuccessful bout as a manus writer in Hollywood Bergman's alcoholism took over, from which he died prematurely.
- Maria, Jesu moder (1905)
- Amourer (1910)
- Hans Nåds testamente (1910, His Grace's Will)
- Marionettspel (1917)
- Markurells i Wadköping (1919, God's Orchid)
- Farmor och vår Herre (1921, Thy Rod and Thy Staff)
- Chefen Fru Ingeborg (1924)
- Clownen Jac (1930, The Clown Jac)
- Works by Hjalmar Bergman at Project Gutenberg
* Notice to all users: You can export our search engine to your blog, website, facebook or my space.